(541) 388-7888 | cpa@sgabend.com


Items Individuals Should Bring for a Successful Visit with Your CPA

Tanya Kausler

February 7, 2018

With tax season officially in full swing, now is the time to start gathering important tax documents.  We have compiled a list of documents that will help you prepare for a successful visit with your CPA.

  • W-2 Wage Any Forms 1099’s for interest income, dividend income, sale of stock, non-employee compensation, gambling winnings, medical savings account distributions
  • If you sold any stock during the year, you will need the cost basis of the stock (Cost basis is the original value of an asset for tax purposes, usually the purchase price, adjusted for stock splits, dividends and return of capital distributions).
  • Retirement Income, including the Social Security Form SSA-1099
  • Any Forms K-1 from Partnerships, S-Corporations, Estates and Trusts that you are a member of
  • Proof of health insurance coverage for the year (provided by your employer or care provider)
  • Education expenses, including the Form 1098-T, and any student loan interest paid, Form 1098-E.
  • Child Care expenses
    • Amount of expense
    • The child the expense was for
    • The name, address, phone number, AND the Federal Identification, or Social Security Number, of the child care provider
  • Information on any changes in your life or tax situation, for example
    • Change of address
    • Social security, date of birth, and name of any new dependent or spouse
    • Divorce decree if you are paying alimony or claiming your child(ren) on your return
    • Documentation on the purchase or sale of your home
    • Documentation on a home refinance or home equity loan
    • Moving expenses if you moved for a job change
  • Any estimated tax payments made and the date made
  • Bank account information for direct deposit of refunds, if applicable
  • For itemized deductions:
    • Total Medical expenses
    • Mortgage interest paid on you home
    • Real estate taxes paid on your home(s)
    • Cash contributions to charity
    • Non-Cash Contributions to Charity.  Items over a fair market value of $500 require detail of the item donated, name and address of the charitable organization, date of contributions, fair market value of the item, and the original cost of the item
    • Business expenses not reimbursed by your employer
  • If you have Schedule C business, you will want to provide all the income and expenses for the year.
  • If you section of your home that is solely for business
    • Total square feet of your house and square footage of the section used for business
    • Expenses related to the home; utilities, repairs, insurance, rent or mortgage interest paid.
  • If you have Schedule E rental property, you will want to provide all the income and expenses for the year.
  • If you have Schedule F farm, you will want to provide all of income and expenses for the year.
  • If you used your vehicle for business you will want to provide the total mileage and business mileage.

This list is not meant to be comprehensive. Rather, we would like to encourage clients to use it as a guide to assist them in gathering substantially all the necessary information needed to file an accurate tax return.

We encourage you to contact our office if you have additional questions.

Back to List

In three easy steps, our team can help you
find your path to a sustainable, profitable business
and more individual freedom.



Latest from Our Blog

qb-proadvisor-desktop qb-proadvisor-advdesktop qb-proadvisor-online qb-proadvisor-advonline qb-proadvisor-enterprise

Learn More

Help us. Help others.

Tell us about your experience with our firm.

Review Us